The Capizzi college
Curch of Sacro Cuore
church of the Sacro Cuore (Sacred Heart), placed on the Corso Umberto at the center
of the Capizzi college among the ancient eighteenth - century
wing and the neoclassic one. Was wanted by the Rector Of The College Giuseppe Prestianni and built
mostly on the area occupied by the ancient San Rocco chapel,
mentioned in reveals of 1580 and matrimonial registers of 1589.
The construction of the edifice began in 1907
and the church was solemnly opened to the public, on November 15 the,
1914, with the blessing of the Archbishop Mons. Ferraris.
The prospect and interior decorations were performed by Ing. Sciuto Patti;
the structure and architectural composition by Caselli.
in "the Historical Memories of Bronte" describes her so: "as
a work of art is one of the most beautiful not only for the town but also
The composition and the greater height of the church in respect to the
College, visually make it autonomous and emergent in the disposition of
the block volumes.
In the façade, to the free
and modern scansion of flat surfaces alternated by surfaces of feigned ashlars
work, classical decorative elements are opposed. The triangular architrave with broken lines of the portal is supported by two
beautiful columns of lava stone set up on prismatic pedestals. Above the massive corner pilasters, the drawing of the architrave is resumed
in the cornice and closes the façade up above.
A fanlike rose window in iron and colored glass, filters the light inside the
In the inside, the only nave is
marked by two big pilasters taken again by big strips also on the
church has five altars in marble, work of Domenico Spampinato.
The better one, second to the right, is dedicated to Santa
Caritosa (picture painted in 1919 by Alessandro Abate). The body of the Holy one, kept under the altar, was given to Bronte by
the philosopher Nicola Spedalieri
(as from his letter of July 23rd, 1973).