Castles of Bolo and Torremuzza
the Bolo valley, between Bronte and Troina, you'll find interesting the
ruins of the ancient Bolo and Torremuzza
castles (in this fortress, of Cattaino district, during the Bourbon period,
the prisoners were kept).
The two castles, were built at the top of very steep peak (respectively
932 and 900 meters).
They are considered an example of Middle Ages
With forced passages, they were dominating the
wide valley of Bolo where armies and lunatic crowds of pilgrims
and dealers, who, from the Norman capital Troina, wanted to reach the
coast or Randazzo, were forced to go across that Saraceno bridge still in
existence in the Serravalle country area.
The first sign of the existence of the Bolo settlement is of 1139. In 1392 a royal decree was ordering
that his inhabitants had to turn to the Randazzo Captain of justice. Subsequently, in 1535, Bolo and
Cattaino were abandoned by the inhabitants to meet, together with other
farmhouses, and form a single group in Bronte, as ordered by Carlo V°.
Gesualdo De Luca
in his "History of the town of Bronte" tells us of the fortress
"... that two lonely collapsing walls do not move forward" and
that "several times were found big gold and silver coins where the
farmhouse was, and also oil lamps and vases of clay".
Benedetto Radice makes
it go back to the Greek period, remembering, in the "Historical
memories of Bronte", "the legends" of the treasures hidden
in the spelunkers" of the Bolo and Torremuzza castles about findings
of "quantities of Syracusan, Greeks and Roman coins, found in 1901,
1902 and 1915", he complains that the zone "was never visited by the
But, few years back, among the general indifference, some stowaways
managed to ruin the few remained things digging extensively, even with
Today, of the original two
fortresses remain only few ruins; never the less it is still
possible to imagine the original structure. The Bolo’s
one, built with badly squared local stones, was long and
narrow and occupied the entire space, on top of the hill; of
the group of houses built around the castle, whose
inhabitants, by order of Carl V, moved to the Bronte’s
hamlet in 1535, doesn’t remain any trace.
Torremuzza erected on the slopes of Serra di Vito or
di Caginia (1242 metres) was placed on a rock’ spur accessible
only from one side; high cliffs, hardly practicable, made quite
safe the other sides. The fortress, following the shape of the
rock., was divided in two levels.