The Greek domination period
The presence in Bronte of Greeks,
which in Sicily founded groups of colonies more or les from the V° to
the VIII° century B. C, probably goes back to after the Naxos
foundation (735-730 B.C).
Is attested by findings of walls remains,
jars and handmade articles of daily use, bricks and tiles, coins and
sarcophagi in our zones, Piana, Spedalieri, Saragordio,
Spanò, Cardà and Castellaci.
Good part of such territories falls in the ancient "consular
road", placed in the immediate vicinity of the Simeto river and
bordering on the territory of the ancient Adranos.
To such a purpose, the historian brontese Benedetto Radice, (Historical
memories of Bronte) tells us of the finding in Castellaci
of a lead laminated sarcophagus and of other precious metals, sold
then to a goldsmith.
The eventful recovery still remembered today between the our elders in
Bronte with the name of "u tesoru
ra riggina" (the queen's treasure).
Today, in the zone survive the remains of apse walls (a little church
shaped as a Greek cross dedicated to San Nicolò), a very beautiful
portal in lava stone containing a votive little kiosk and the remains
of tombs violated by thieves.
Again the Radice gives directed testimony of another finding
of coins (that the professor Orsi judged as belonging to
epochs of Timoleonte and Agatocle), of small
amphorae, vases of fine clay and oil lamps, of sure Greek
It happened in the Arciprete district in recent epoch, in
1927, while was going on the laying of the water duct of
Vases and coins sold like hot cakes and unfortunately, no one
prevented the dispersion.